Background

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Graphic LOVE

I have always loved graphics!!  I've never had any formal training; I only know what I've learned from sitting in front of my computer!  I love to manipulate graphics to make what I want. 
 
When I first started scrapbooking, supplies were so much different than they are now- especially Disney supplies.  I was a Disney fanatic, and I was working on scrapping two trips I'd taken to Disney World.  I couldn't find the embellishments I wanted.  That's when I discovered paper piecing.  For most, it was a simple way to dress up a paper doll or to make a simple shape.  However, I, of course, had to take it one step further.  I would take coloring pages and disassemble them in a graphics editing program.  I would create print files that were all one color from a character (ie: peach sections for the skin, blue section for a princess bodice and shoes, etc).  Then I would print those sections onto colored paper/cardstock to get the shapes I wanted.  After I had all my shapes, I would piece the characters together.  Layer upon layer and the character would come to life.  Below is one of my favorite: Buzz.  Both he and Woody are paper pieced.  However, I shot a close up of Buzz because he has so many layers!  (Don't laugh; it is a very old spread!)
  
 
 
So, now you understand my crazy love of graphics (and somewhat insane patience!)
 
For a while, I stopped scrapbooking because time just didn't permit.  Now, thanks to Studio Calico, I am back!  Recently, I heard about the Silhouette Cameo.  I understood it could cut True Type Fonts.  That is true, but it wasn't until later did I understand that not only could it cut True Type Fonts, it could cut shapes.  Naturally, my love for graphics kicked in.
 
In order to justify the cost of the Cameo to my husband and myself, I was trying to figure out multiple ways I could use it.  I discovered the software was free, so I downloaded it.  I started playing and with some help from some YouTube videos, I figured more things out.  This machine is incredible!  However, hubby and I have had a few small financial set backs, so buying the Cameo wasn't an option.  When I told my mom about this great machine, she was intrigued.  Though not a scrapbooker, she was impressed by the machine.  She offered to get it for me as a birthday gift.  Naturally, I took her up on that offer!  My birthday is in a few weeks, but that doesn't mean my creativity hasn't already started to flow!
 
I started playing around with making my own Cut files for the Cameo.  Since I don't have the machine yet, I emailed my designs to my friend, Danielle of Piperloo.  She was kind enough to cut my files, so I could see how my designs worked.  The first one wasn't the greatest as it needed some improvement.  When I made some of the improvements, I also made a negative cut file.  She cut that one, too.
 
Not bad for a first try. 
 
With that boost of confidence, I started creating other files.  While I playing, I heard about the December Daily which is Ali Edwards idea of documenting each day of December remembering holiday traditions and fun.  I thought it would be cool to include some holiday-style designs into my cut file repertoire.  Here is what I tried:
Disregard the pink arrow.  Danielle was showing me a spot to fix.
 
I've very excited how they came out!  I have some new designs in my head!  I'm thinking I might just see what I can do with them!
 
Now, the only hard part: waiting for my birthday and my Cameo!!!!

 
 

 

1 comment:

  1. Super cute Buzz and Woody! I used to do that with classroom decorations when I was teaching Kdg! Love your December Daily cuts - especially the stars!

    Dawn
    dmg314 on IG

    ReplyDelete